Friday 24 June 2011

Midsummer Day

Last night I went to the forest. It was midsummer's eve and magic was afoot.. Why did I go, you might ask? It was because I read http://anhrefn.blogspot.com/ post which brought back so many memories...


Midsummer Eve of my childhood.... 
When I was small my Grandmother told me a story of a magical night when green ferns flower at midnight. On that night, if you went to the forest, you might be lucky to find this single flower, which blooms only once in a thousand years. Once found, it must be given to the one you love. It will bring them happiness and joy. I wanted to find it and give it to my Grandmother but was not allowed to stay up late for many years to come.. 


But last night I went into the forest looking for the fern bloom.. The night was warm, humid. I walked towards the river, stroking unfurled ferns gently, my hands as well as eyes seeking the mythical flower. There was faint music in the air and I could hear soft voices whispering on the gentle breeze..

And there it was.... The one not to be kept to one self but given away to the one you love. When it is looked after it does not wilt, tarnish or wither. It continues to be special, beautiful, fresh and powerful.

 

The night grew deeper as I walked back holding the magic carefully in the palm of my hand. The river sparkled darkly and the music became distinctive. Women were singing nearby. The song was plaintive and full of longing.  The flower glowed and glittered, sending shafts of light into the shadows. I laid it down gently in the grass..  There were lights on the river now.  Garlands of flowers woven into circles floated by as I sat on the bank. In the centre of each a candle shone enticingly. 

Down river I could see movement. Young men were wading in fully clothed, picking up the garlands floating by.. The next few days will prove very exciting for the young of the area. Matching the garlands to the women who sent them afloat will prove more difficult than imagined. Reticence and modesty was the manner exhibited. Patience and shrewdness was required..


The sun was rising in the east.  Soft mist was lingering above the river, pervading the willows drooping lazily. The fern bloom sparkled with anticipation of the happiness it was about to liberate. I was hurrying now, my feet hardly touching the ground. My love would be waking soon and on his pillow, fragrant and magical, the fern bloom will rest. Happy Midsummer!

No comments: